Period of study:
– 2 academic years full time, for holders of a Bachelor’s degree in Music;
A total of 60 credits per academic year is required to receive a Master’s degree. They are accumulated from the compulsory (70%), elective (20%) and optional (10%) subjects.
A/ Small ternary form on a set theme
B/ Solo or choral song with a piano accompaniment on set lyrics (the choral song can be a capella).
The exam lasts 4 astronomic hours.
Courses of study:
Compulsory: Composition; Solfeggio; Harmony; History of music; History of Bulgarian music; Ethnomusicology; Piano; Foreign language; Study of musical instruments; Polyphony; Symphonic orchestration; Score reading; Musical analysis; Musical aesthetics; Orchestration for wind ensemble
Elective: Pedagogy; Philosophy; Conducting a choir from a piano score; Choral workshop; Choral studies; Music psychology; Conducting an orchestra from a piano score; Educational psychology; Basics of multimedia; Musical acoustics; Music management; Church music; Methods of piano teaching; History of jazz; Improvisation; Opera dramaturgy; Ethics; Philosophy of music
Optional: Composition and notation software; Foreign languages – 1 and 2; Sports; History of art
Professional qualifications of the graduates:
– To create original musical works, music for cinema and TV productions, broadcast and TV shows, dramatic and puppet performances, choreographic and dance productions; to arrange and adapt original compositions and authentic folk music;
– To train students in composition and musical theory subjects;
– To do research work in the field of musical art;
– To manage the organization and functioning of musical ensembles, organizations and institutes.
Career opportunities: in philharmonic societies, opera, operetta, dramatic, puppet and other theaters; in mass communication media and cultural institutions; in professional and amateur ensembles; in music education institutions, cultural centers and clubs; in film and TV studios, editorial offices, councils for culture affairs, etc, taking positions as composer, artistic manager, lecturer, editor, expert in musical matters.