Period of study:
– 2 academic years full time, for holders of a Bachelor’s degree in Music;
A total of 60 credits per academic year is required to receive a Master’s degree. They are accumulated from the compulsory (70%), elective (20%) and optional (10%) subjects.
Admission: Students required to take a written exam on topics from a previously announced questionnaire.
Courses of study:
Compulsory: Conducting an orchestra from a piano score; Orchestra conducting; Solfeggio; Harmony; History of music; History of Bulgarian music; Ethnomusicology; Piano; Study of musical instruments; Foreign language; Polyphony; Symphonic orchestration; Score reading; Musical analysis; Musical aesthetics
Elective: Pedagogy; Philosophy; Choral workshop; Conducting a choir from a piano score; Choral studies; Music psychology; Voice training; Educational psychology; Orchestration for wind ensemble; Choir repertoire and literature; Critical analysis of concert performances; Basics of multimedia; Musical acoustics; Music management; Church music; Methods of piano teaching; History of jazz; Improvisation; Opera dramaturgy; Ethics; Philosophy of music
Optional: Foreign languages – 1 and 2; Sports; History of art
Professional qualifications of the graduates:
– To conduct works for the stage, symphonic, cantata-and-oratorio and chamber works; music for cinema and TV productions, radio and TV shows, dramatic, puppet shows and other performances, choreographic and dance performances;
– To train students in the sphere of musical art;
– To manage the organization and functioning of musical ensembles, organizations and institutes;
– To do research work in the field of the art of conducting
– To teach conducting, orchestra performance and score reading.
Career opportunities: in philharmonic orchestras, opera, operetta, puppet and other theaters; in professional and amateur ensembles and various formations; ; in music education institutes, community centers and cultural clubs in film and broadcasting recording studios and editorial offices, taking positions as opera and symphony conductor, artistic director, lecturer, editor, expert in methods of conducting.