Length of study: 4 academic years on a full-time basis.
Degree obtained: Bachelor’s degree, 240 required credits (60 credits per year of full-time study). Credits are earned from required subjects (70%), electives (20%) and optional subjects (10%).
By decision of the department where students pursue their special academic major, they can additionally earn up to 10 credits for the period of study for remarkable and distinguished artistic performances, participation in international festivals, awards from national and international competitions.
– Mandatory: Special academic major: Gadulka, Chamber Ensembles, Piano (required subject) Folk Music Orchestra, Organology, Solfege, Harmony (Counterpoint), History of Music, Musical Folklore, History of Gadulka, Polyphony, Methodology, Teacher Training Practice, History of Bulgarian Music, Musical Analysis.
– Electives: Folk Music Orchestra, Folk Choir Conducting, Folk Orchestra Conducting, Improvisation, Ensemble Practice, Composition, Reading Sheet Music, Folk Orchestra Orchestration, Singing in a Folk Choir, Philosophy, Rhythmics, Music Arts Management, Art History, Aesthetics of Music.
– Optional: Foreign language(s), Sports.
Method of Graduation: Final (state-mandated) examination: Concert performances in the special academic major and in chamber ensembles.
– To give concerts as soloists or as ensemble performers, soloists in folklore ensembles, orchestras, folk music instrumental groups, etc.;
– To train teaching staff in the field of Gadulka and chamber ensembles at children’s music schools, secondary music schools, etc.;
– To conduct research work in the field of folk music instrumental and performing arts;
– To manage and guide various types of instrumental ensembles, folk music instrumental ensembles, amateur and professional folk music Ensembles;
– To carry on any kind of activity requiring higher education in music.